Stunningly situated in rugged mountain terrain above the fog line at the southern end of the Mt. Veeder Appellation, the first growth Pulido~Walker Mt. Veeder Estate Vineyard commands views of the Napa Valley from within the Mayacamas range. Nearly a decade after acquiring these extraordinary 115 acres and collecting data on its microclimates and soils, the best 15 acres were meticulously planted to 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Chardonnay.
Dividing the vineyard into 18 micro blocks gave winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown total freedom in clonal selection. 20,934 vines were grafted on five different rootstocks with heritage varietal clones that included five Cabernet Sauvignon and three Chardonnay. Vines are spaced 42 inches in 7-foot wide hillside rows. Thomas maintains full control over all aspects of farming quality and harvest dates, in order to yield an exceptional wine greater than the sum of its parts.
Inspired by the notion of rarity based on disciplined weighing and measuring of choices, Mark and Donna’s “Pursue the Possible” approach to the Mt. Veeder Vineyard delivers wine with distinct personality, reflective of its place of origin.
- Appellation: Mt. Veeder, Napa Valley
- Site: 15 acres at the southern end of Mt. Veeder
- Elevation: 650–960 ft.
- Soil Composition: Weathered sandstone, fractured shale, and clay loam soils
- Planted: 2015
- Varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon (75%) and Chardonnay (25%)
- Cabernet Sauvignon Clones: 15, 30, 169, and 685
- Chardonnay Clones: Old Vine Wente, Montrachet, and Robert Young